“Cool hunters” looking for trendy addresses can add Indiana, upstate New York, Kentucky, and Michigan to their list of places to check out, according to a recent poll by Realtor.com and Yelp.
To compile their list, the firms looked at the most in-demand US housing markets and then looked for the highest concentration of what they call “hipster” businesses.
In addition to having plentiful dive bars, restaurants, barbers, vinyl record shops, and “visually appealing interiors,” the top postal zones also feature low unemployment, average selling periods of 30 days, and communities with a higher-than-average number of millennials (ages 25 to 34).
The hipster poll is important for buyers looking for youthful neighborhoods. Javier Vivas, who heads up economic research for Realtor.com explained, “when it comes to real estate – hipsters have a knack for getting it right. There’s clear evidence that ‘hipster’ popularity – in markets like Austin, Texas, – has led to mainstream interest and higher home prices over time,” he said in a statement.
Here are the country’s ten hippest zip codes:
1. Columbus Ohio’s Clinton Hill, 43202, median household income $44,007 a year
2. Seattle’s Capitol Hill 98122, median household income $65,367 a year
3. San Diego’s North Park 92104, median household income $55,130 a year
4. Fort Wayne, Indiana 46802, median household income $29,591 a year
5. Rochester, New York’s Highland Park 14620, median household income $43,550 a year
6. San Francisco’s The Haight 94117 median household income $111,817 a year
7. Long Beach, California 90814 average household income $60,751 a year
8. Louisville’s Schnitzelburg 40217 average household income $53,134 a year
9. Grand Rapids, Michigan 49506 average household income $63,308 year
10. Colorado Springs 80903 average household income $37,215 a year
When it comes to the “cool zones” people are looking for the comforts of a traditional neighborhood with the entertainment of a city – the best of both worlds. Moving to the “burbs” no longer has to spell doom for your social life when you’ve got hipster businesses in town. Next time you’re in the market to move, remember these cities, and you too can be a part of a “hip” zip code.
Laurel Road has technology that builds mortgages entirely online with a streamlined process built for you. Explore your options now.